Rabbit is out of town with her Girl Scout troop, attending an Apple Festival in a town 50 miles away, sleeping in bunk beds in the lodge, picking apples, getting muddy and hopefully having a good time.
PC and I took the opportunity of an evening without her to go out to eat at a restaurant where chicken fingers do NOT appear on the menu anywhere. We had been to this restaurant a few years ago on our 23rd or 24th anniversary and liked the atmosphere and the food.
Tonight he had a ribeye steak and a glass of pinot noir. I had seared scallops, risotto, green beans…with a garnish of bacon and onion jam (which was delicious but very rich). We had coffee and dessert afterward and drifted home stuffed and happy.
Walking in the door of the house, PC exclaimed “Have you seen my phone?” I dryly thought “Not since you took it out at the restaurant to look up the Oscar Pistorius verdict and I told you to put it away.” I thought it but did not say it.
He had apparently set it on top of his coat, folded in the chair next to him, and it had slid off his coat onto the floor when we got up to leave. The waitress had found it and was holding it at the front of the restaurant, hoping someone would come for it. He sped off in his truck to go across town for his phone before I had even put my purse down. He is lost without his phone.
My husband loves having a smartphone: he can look things up on the Internet no matter where he is and, as someone to whom being right is supremely important, this is an invaluable tool.
Here is a brief list of things my husband has researched (or should have researched years ago, based on the number of times the topics have come up over the last 27 years) on his iPhone while we have been eating or watching movies or traveling for hours on long car trips:
1. How many ounces in a magnum of champagne?
2. The name of that guy starring opposite James Gandolfini in that new movie.
3. When did Peter Falk die?
4. Who narrates that car commercial?
5. What time does the Nebraska vs Fresno State game start?
6. Which states do not observe daylight saving time?
7. How many ounces in a shot glass?
8. Does the treasury still print $2 bills?
9. Is a clementine the same thing as a mandarin orange?
10. What is the highest auction price for a Winchester rifle?
11. What year was Mark Twain born?
12. Which philosopher observed that intelligence is invisible to the man who has none? (Schopenhauer?)
13. What year was Vatican II?
The nice thing for PC is that his little portable argument solver/encyclopedia/ready reference guide is also a versatile device that can be used occasionally for phone calls, or for texting his wife. For example, while he was watching the News Hour on PBS in the garage the other night, he texted me to ask “Hey, did you know that Prince William and his wife are expecting another baby?”
To which I texted back “Of course. I follow that sh*t like Fantasy Football.”